Friday, March 28, 2008

Me? Pregnant?

Up until maybe a week ago, people have been saying that I was particularly small for whatever stage of pregnancy that I happen to be at. I quite liked hearing that. It fulfilled whatever body image affirmation I required to be happy with my physique. This week, people have started saying the opposite. I'm hearing a lot of, "Wow, you're really starting to look pregnant now!", or, "your tummy is really sticking out now!", or, "Hey, I can now tell that you're pregnant when I look at you from behind!". That was my personal favourite. I know that I am supposed to look pregnant seeing as I actually am, but somehow I am not enjoying being told that I look it after so many months of being told that I was barely showing. Don't feel bad if you are one of the people who have made such comments. The issue is mine. It's just that I deluded myself into thinking that I could get through the whole nine months in size eight, non-maternity jeans. I officially declared those uncomfortable yesterday and took some hand-me-down maternity jeans to the tailor to be shortened just today. If the size eight jeans were a slightly lower rise, I could have done it! I know I could have! Ok, I get it. I look pregnant. Just go easy on telling me about it, will ya?

6 comments:

Chantal said...

Looking pregnant. I know exactly what you mean. I feel your pain :) (or felt it since I am not preggy)

kittenpie said...

I'm starting to have a hard time hiding it early this time - I look about 4 or 5 months gone and I'm only 15 weeks! I got enormous with Pumpkinpie, so I hate to speculate where this might go... Oy. I finally gave into some portion of my maternity wear this past week.

MLL said...

If it makes you feel any better, I always had the opposite problem and was just as unhappy about it. Even in my 7th, 8th month of pregnancy....wtih a huge belly and wearing maternity clothes, people wouldn't know I was pregnant---they would just think I was that fat. Especially since I had large breasts so my belly never really stuck out beyond them.
Marcia

karengreeners said...

kgirl said...
I so laughed at Halle Berry when she said that she would not be wearing maternity clothes during her pregnancy. Embrace it. Love it. You're growing a person and I bet you look gorgeous. It's cool.

p.s. that was me deleting because of a typo. i know vanity.

Run ANC said...

I hate the "you're not going to have the baby RIGHT NOW, are you?" cracks. So funny.

Holly said...

I thoroughly enjoyed it when a co-worker said to me (quite loudly too) "wow, you're gonna have a boy for sure, your butt is huge".

mmm, yeah.