Friday, March 07, 2008

Cheerio! Now Piss off!

My daughter appears to have flunked out of ballet today. It was the last day of her eight-week session, and there was a recital, complete with dads and video cameras. As usual, Pumpkin didn't follow all of the instructions, but she wasn't the only one. The other kids didn't do as they were told either, but they at least sat with their moms while their moms pointed and flexed their own toes. At a previous class, I actually said to the teacher that it is a good thing that she isn't a stickler for precise following of instructions. The instructor just shrugged and said, "They're still babies." My sentiments exactly. At the end of today's class, we approached the instructor, a former dancer herself, and told her that we had registered for another session to see if we can get Pumpkin a little more involved. I would have thought that the teacher would have been excited by this, as we are making an effort to encourage Pumpkin in this teacher's chosen field. Instead, the teacher gave a look of I'm not sure what, and suggested in her snooty, British accent that a little more parental control might help, but that we can't force these kids to do things that they don't want to do. (I know that the British are lovely people, but the accent needs to be mentioned as it does help emphasize the snootiness of it all) What happened to, "They're still babies."? My kid is freakin' two and a half!!! How can someone not-so-subtly hint that we should not re-register given the current performance of our two and a half year old??? It's not like it's a refined school for dancing. It's at my local community centre! Well, I had no problem unregistering for that class when I got home. We'll just take our mad skills someplace else!

7 comments:

motherbumper said...

And this is why I get along with you - I'd take our mad skills somewhere else too. And can I just say that she looks so darn cute. She's two and half - life is supposed to be fun and full of creativity! There is enough room for rigid in the years ahead.

Chantal said...

She can take her class and shove it eh. Jeeeesss. Maybe a tumbling class where kids get to run around and have fun would interest her. I know my son loved that class when he was 3.

Urban Daddy said...

That is unbelievable!!!

Parental control?!? Do we ever get to have that?!?

Geez.

Probably has no kids...

;)

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I'd do the same, although, to be honest, i'd probably make a scene first.

Yea, I'm like that.

My boys are going to be SO embarrassed when they are older.

Melissa said...

Sheesh!

Immensely cute picture though!

VICTORIA said...

That is a beautiful picture!

foop said...

I like the idea of kids being given a little room to do their thing and bring their own little sumpthin'sumpthin' to whatever they do. If Madame does not have room for that, well maybe there are some repressed parents who would like their child to have your daughter's spot.

Phoo!