Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Repressed Road Rage

Yesterday I packed up my kids into the car and drove off to visit a friend of mine who lives a half hour away. I hadn't been there in a while and inadvertently ended up taking a different eastbound road than usual. I wasn't entirely sure that the cross street that I was looking for came as far north as the road that I was traveling along, but I didn't say anything. It is weird though that being 1/2 a km too far north took me from a landscape of endless urban sprawl to serene farm land. At least for now.

Anyhow, I ended up missing the street that I was supposed to turn on, but simply made two right turns and headed back to towards it. There was no panic, there was no reason for Pumpkin to notice anything seeing as she has never travelled the usual route to this friend's house. Why then, did she turn into the most annoying back seat driver imaginable?

"Are you sure that this is the right way?", she asked.
"Yes."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes.", I replied again, although I wasn't entirely certain that my detour would work.
"You sure?"
"Yes.", I answered again, becoming agitated at her asking.
"Sure?"
"YES! Now please stop asking", I requested, wondering if I'd have to backtrack to the main highway.
"Are you sure?"
"GAAAAHHHHHHH! YES, THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY! DON'T ASK AGAIN!"
"Are you sure?"

Do you have any idea how hard it is not to swear at someone during a conversation like this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to stop nagging my hubby when he drives. It took reading this post to realize how annoying I am!