Sunday, September 13, 2009

Daily Affirmation

Wow, blogging is starting to remind me of marital sex. The less I do, the less I want to do. Sometimes to get the ball rolling again I am either struck with inspiration, or I end up taking one for the team. Well team, here I am.

Following in the footsteps of Danigirl, I finally decided to visit one of those fancy lingerie shops that I have always avoided due to being cheap, and due to fear of being cupped by a stranger. Buying bras is typically an unrewarding purchase for me. No one really sees them, and they tend to cost a heck of a lot when you can't fit the cutesy stuff at La Senza., I did figure that a fitting was in order since every post-baby woman who posts something on the topic always seems stunned to find out that her perceived 36Bs are actually 34Ds. I wasn't too far off. I traded in my old 34Ds for 32Ds, which is a good thing. Not only was there no cupping, and not only do I have less girth than originally thought, but I have now become bra sisters with my friend in Victoria. Hey friend in Victoria! I can hook you up with some good support the next time you visit! Truthfully, I would prefer to be your size 2 butt sister, although I'd like it to happen without all that marathony stuff that you do. I'll set that as my long term goal. The butt, not the marathon.

In all seriousness, I'm not looking to change shape. I am about to speak one of the most obnoxious things that you've ever heard a woman say. I'm kinda happy with my body. It's true! I'm not perfect in any way, shape, or form, but if I judge my body on a bell curve, I'm doing quite well!

I look pretty much the same as I did in high school, but I hated my body in those days. Back then, I wasn't very high up on the bell curve, but instead had a lot of curves of my own. My friends were all built like 10 year old boys with boobs. Me, not so much. I may have even been five pounds heavier than I am now. That doesn't sound like much, but it seemed to look like a lot. I believe that my brother can attest to this based on the "compliment" that he gave me recently. He said, "You know, you look really good! Based on how you looked when you were 17, I figured that your body would be a complete mess by this stage in life."

Hey ladies, in case you're looking, he's available....

Anyhow, now at age 36 with two kids, I'm feeling pretty good about the way I look. I hated my non flat stomach when I was younger, but now it's almost to be expected. Did you see what my stomach went through? And due to what I would call extremely rapid growth during puberty, I never had boobs that saluted the sun. Guess what! I still don't! But did you see what my rack went through? You probably didn't, but you can imagine, right? I'm sure that the average woman who endured the same has to hike her rack up a couple of notches higher than she used to as well. How about the dark circles under my eyes that were regarded with concern by teachers who were worried about my home life. Now that I am a mother of two, I'm supposed to have them! They've almost become something to brag about!

So there it is: I'm good enough; I'm smart enough; and gosh darn it, people like me. Sort of.

7 comments:

DaniGirl said...

Hooray for well-fitting undergarments!! And hooray for liking you the way you are - not obnoxious at all, IMHO. (And I laughed out loud at the marital sex analogy. I see the flip side of that one -- I'm afraid to stop, because if it's better that way I don't want to think about all the years I wasted!)

Chantal said...

It is great to hear someone say they like themselves. I am sure I will feel that way after I lose all the baby fat I am about to gain :)

karengreeners said...

First of all, your opening sentence - priceless. And so true. Second of all, I need to get a real bra so badly. I'm still wearing nursing bras all day. But I'm not exactly thrilled with my figure right now. All of my stroller-pushing sah friends have gorgeous, pre-baby bodies back. I push nothing but paperwork, so I am bigger than I've ever been. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl....Nice to see you blogging again :)
remember something..not all the girls were built as 10 yr old boys with boobs...there were some of us who just looked like 10 yr old boys with hips :(
Now I probably don't need to identify myself - hah!
I'm also very glad to see that you are happy with your body - you should be! I'm looking forward to shopping with you soon.
K Mom

Tania said...

Hey Anon! Now that you've pushed out kids, you're supposed to have hips! Isn't this great!

fzaltz said...

I laughed out loud when I read the part about being bra sisters with your friend in Victoria. I don't know how it happened, but I morphed into a 34C sometime around 1997 (long before the marathony madness began), so we might have to find another basis for our sisterhood. Regardless, congratulations on your reduced girth, and for looking so great! In fact, you look the same as I remember you looking 17 years ago, which means you look fantastic for 36 and 2 kids. I don't think your brother has ever been known for his tact.

Barrie said...

I am still laughing at your brother's comment! I'm glad you're happy with yourself. Go, you!