Thursday, February 07, 2008

I'm the Worst Neighbour.

Today reminded me of the last episode of Seinfeld, where Jerry and co. were charged with not being good samaritans as they stood by, making jokes while watching another man get mugged. To start my day off, I woke up to discover that hubby had spent the whole night at the hospice with his mother, and was returning home after having almost no sleep. Looking out the window at around 9am, I saw him unsucessfully trying to make it up the unplowed hill to our house. I have 4WD, so I drove to the bottom of the hill to pick him up. We left his car in a nearby parking lot, and headed home. On the way, we passed another guy whose car was stuck in a ditch. I suggested that we stop and help, but hubby was in no mood or shape, and being with child, I was unable to offer any assistance either. Later in the day, I was gazing out the window and saw a neighbour of mine back our of her driveway, and get stuck on the STILL unplowed street. She spent about 30 minutes digging herself out, while my mom and I watched from a window, feeling bad for her, but offering nothing but comments to each other about how the woman was doing it wrong. I sure hope she didn't see us. I sure hope the good samaritan patrol didn't see us either. The snow plow finally showed up at around 10pm tonight, so hopefully I can stop not helping people now. I'll have to find a new form of entertainment.

4 comments:

Nora said...

I know what you mean. I blew past a guy with engine trouble the other day, telling myself that he probably had a cell phone and could call someone. But really it might have been nice if i stopped. It's okay.

Whirlwind said...

Being pregnant, there isn't much you can do to help.

I remember when I was pregnant with my first, I had to shovel the driveway enough so hubby could get into the driveway with his car and finish the rest. Not one person stopped to offer help to me, even though I was very obviously pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Some days you just have to look after yourself. Think about the times that you do help - makes up for those that you don't!

Urban Daddy said...

Hey, I was going to leave a comment pretty much like the one above... Looks like the wife and I are sharing the same wave length again... What am I thinking now, UrbanMummy... LOL.

Back to the snow... Just think that anytime you have or can help someone, they greatly appreciated it. It was probably more than they expected anyways...