Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Not Even Technology Can Save Me!

I hate that I have become a cliche. Mommy-brain, or call it whatever you want, has sunken in and taken hold. I've been arguing that I just have too much on my mind, which is why I can't keep track of everything, but I'm starting to believe that I'm just becoming stupid.

I write stuff on a paper calendar when I have a scheduled event. Ridiculously though, I sometimes forget to look at it. Not looking at this calendar recently led me to showing up two days early for a vet appointment, 45 minutes away from my house, through rush-hour traffic! Fortunately, the veterinarian took pity on me and saw me anyways.

Last week, I made plans with my friend for her and her kids to come over for dinner. In an effort to be more proactive in keeping my plans straight, I decided to enter the visit in the calendar in my iPhone. I also set the phone to give me a day's notice. I have no idea if the phone ever notified me. I don't even know what this notification would look or sound like. I do know that I probably should have recorded the event on my paper calendar that I at least look at sometimes!

While giving Pumpkin a bike-riding lesson after camp late this afternoon, I noticed a car driving towards my house. I stared at the car for a bit, then turned back to Pumpkin, figuring it was just someone cruising around.

Then the car stopped, the driver rolled down the window, and just stared at me. 'Do I know you?', I wondered. The driver looked familiar, but my friend's funky haircut prevented my mental circuitry from making any useful synapses.

"Did you forget that we were coming?", she asked. I couldn't even manage to TRY to fake it. I could have blamed her hair cut, or lack of familiarity with her car, but I didn't. I just stood there, dumbfounded, contemplating take-out dinner options, wondering what has become of my brain.

5 comments:

Chantal said...

I so get this. I have found it frustrating, embarrassing and funny. But mostly it makes me sad :( I want my brain back!

Barrie said...

Oh, I can relate to all this. Any chance it just makes us interesting?!

Alexis George said...

Ahhh... Uh-oh... I can relate too! (it sucks coz im too young to forget my schedules in life)... :) Thanks for the share!

Unknown said...

so strange

KateBannet said...

Avoid colloquial (informal) writing. Do not use contractions or abbreviations (e.g., don't, can't, won't, shouldn't, could've, or haven't). Your essay should have a serious tone, even if it's written in a light or lyrical style au.essay-writing-place.com.